Once upon a time this was me:
- Hopeful yet overwhelmed.
- Cautiously curious.
- Filled with questions.
- Under confident.
Yet sensing in my heart that homeschooling just might be the best choice for my family. And if I was honest, convincing myself that most other moms knew all the insider secrets and tips to successfully teaching their kids at home.
I had some challenging lessons to learn.
I didn’t feel confident and full of homeschool wisdom the very day I signed the form to withdraw my first grader from public school.
While I was full of hope, I had no idea how to do this homeschool thing.
Of course I asked some other homeschool moms where to start, but I found myself walking away. Embarrassed and feeling more confused than when I began.
Feeling lost, I sunk money into a stack of workbooks that covered every single subject for an entire year.
Which brought us:
- Endless, boring busywork.
- Too much fact cramming.
- No room for creative sparks of true learning.
Tired of trading our time and brainpower for lifeless learning … I set out on a journey to reclaim the joy and potential rewards of what I now refer to as A LIFESTYLE OF LEARNING.
Through the years, I learned that successful homeschooling isn’t about recreating the public school classroom.
I discovered that:
- Learning together can be interesting and fun for both kids and parents.
- Helping your kids feel confident in their progress towards learning, they in turn will become productive lifetime students, regardless of whether they are “on track” with their “grade level” peers.
- Instilling solid character into your kids is far more valuable to their success than “this or that” curriculum.
- Giving your kids a vision for their future and helping them have a means to fulfill it is one of the greatest predictors of producing capable and confident young people.
- When we have the ability to dream, to be creative, to tailor the learning to the heartbeat of who we are as a family, this is where true success comes from.
After successfully homeschooling my own four sons through high school, it’s become my goal to help encourage and equip YOU to begin your very own successful homeschooling journey!
A Little About Me
Yup! Five fellas! Even our dog, Coda, is a male. Which makes me one highly outnumbered lady here on our little farm in Maryland. Definitely I wouldn’t trade it. In fact:
- I actually still dig the Mr! Even though we’ve been married since 1993 … and we’ve seen our share of highs and lows, I’ll admit to Billy now that he’s made me a better person for all that we have walked and worked through in our journey as a couple.
- Raising a herd of boys to be productive, kind and hardworking young men certainly ain’t for sissies … but “Mom” is definitely one of my absolutely fave things to be!
- I think I must’ve been one tough nut to crack because God enrolled me in the school of hard knocks to teach me most every valuable life lesson I’ve learned as an adult … but it’s given me a heart to encourage and inspire other moms that life can be beautiful and blessed regardless of how messy it’s been or continues to be.
- Give me a 75 degree, sunshine-filled day where I can be barefoot and piddling in the fruit, herb and vegetable patches and I am one happy camper … add in my family and it’s feel near heavenly.